Friday, September 14, 2012

Time to Meet the Neighbors...

 Arcturus had a day off from work. It was Wednesday. He was kinda bored. He didn't want to really start writing his next book just yet, so he decided to visit his neighbors. He had dealt with so much strange behavior from the people at work that he figured he could just relax with some normal people for once. Unfortunately, Riverview is filled with weirdos.

This approach reminds me of something.
Oh yeah. How appropriate.
When Arcturus crossed onto their property, he felt an unexplained chill. The wind picked up and thunder rolled in the distance. Arcturus walked up the steps of the front porch and knocked on the door. Looking through the dirty glass of the front window and thought he saw someone moving around inside. Nearly jumped outta his knickers though when someone stepped up onto the porch behind him and cleared their throat.
"You feel like you're in the right place, city boy?"
"Oh. Hi," Arcturus said, "I just came over to introduce myself. I'm Arcturus. You live here?" The man just stared for a bit and said, "My name is Buck and I'm here to... party." Arcturus kinda frowned a little at the reference from the "edited for TV" version of Kill Bill. It also made him nervous as all hell because he didn't really understand why that man even made the reference in the first place.
"He got a real pretty mouth, ain't he?", Buck asked his... inner demons(?)
"Want to come in? I can get you a drink... a dorito, even," Buck said. Now, Arcturus is a naive fellow and he sure couldn't see that this guy was thinking about his mouth, so he agreed to go in. But, let's never forget that Buck's first thought was Arcturus's mouth. His first thought! I don't think we'll ever know why.
Oh yeah, it was also his second thought too.
As Buck went inside, Arcturus looked around the neighborhood. Nobody was around. No witnesses. He looked out of the computer screen at me, pleading for help with his teary eyes. I had my arms folded and shook my head. "Get in there, you baby!"  He pulled at his collar a little and stepped into the house. Buck closed the door and locked it. Arcturus's heart sank. Buck walked to the back of the house and disappeared into the bedroom. Arcturus was feeling less comfortable about this visit by the minute. He just wanted to meet someone who wasn't a freak. While Buck was in the back room, Arcturus quickly called Constance. He needed someone to know where he was.

"Hey. I'm in my neighbor's house. The one on stone pylons.... Well, I'm telling you because this guy seems a little weird... I don't know why I went in! It was like I was being controlled against my will [editor's note: "tee-hee."]... Alright, I will. Bye." Arcturus had done his best trying to keep the conversation hushed so Buck wouldn't hear him. Then, he turned around.
A bead of sweat ran down Arcturus's face. This moment felt forever.
Buck stared blankly. Arcturus couldn't think straight. "Hey, Buck, y'know, I forgot I left a casserole in the oven. Heh. Everyone's doing that these days. So, I have to go, actually." "Who were you talking to on the phone?" Buck asked. Arcturus swallowed. Time passed. All Arcturus could come up with was, "The casserole?" Buck quickly moved between Arcturus and the door. "You know what I do for a living, Arthur? I'm a burial specialist."(This is actually his job as told to me by the game. Perfect.) Arcturus started to tear up. He was scurred, guys. Just then, there was a noise at the door and another man walked in.
Is Arcturus going to die here tonight?
... TO BE CONTINUED.

4 comments:

  1. Haha, great cliffhanger. I'm glad I waited to read this. I get to move right on to the followup.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did you design Buck? Because he really looks insane.

    ReplyDelete
  3. no. i actually didn't. he was already in the game.

    ReplyDelete