Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Ghost Tales 

Arcturus was living the afterlife... y'know?... Do you get it now?

He no longer had a job, of course. Nobody would call a ghost to get rid of the ghosts in their house and nobody would hire a transparent ghoul wearing Christmas attire for any other job. So, he spent all his time with Emily. He had no problem with that.

After teaching Emily how to walk, it was time to teach her how to talk. This meant sitting down with her and just speaking, hoping that maybe she would pick up some things.

"Then, the Reaper took your Dad's soul, honey."
Can you say, "Daddy begged the man for a job?"

Some nights, Arcturus visited his magic shop. It was just about the only place in town where he could feel comfortable outside of home, because this was also a place you could expect to find some freaks. Arcturus found that his friend, Rainer, had apparently quit while he had been dead. The new employee was Cherry Kanto. (Wait. If Arcturus owns this place and was dead, who hired Cherry? I guess it was Betty.) Cherry was an old lady. She had seen a lot in her life so, upon introduction, she didn't even flinch at Arcturus's condition.

"You're a ghost." "You're almost a ghost."

But, the turnaround was quick. Cherry Kanto died the week Arcturus met her and the day after her death, Kimberly Chappel was working. There is always someone there to fill in the position. Not like there are multiple employees either. Only one employee at a time, never any search needed to find the next one.

Love is in the air, for some reason. This is weird on both of their parts.
The love died quickly though.
"Oh! You have a daughter? Whoa. I can't get past that, bruh."
"I have a wife, ma'am."

Back at home, Betty was pretending that strange doll could talk. Confusing Emily for a lifetime, I'm sure.



"Mom. Hi. I can talk now. Dad told me sad stories today."

When Arcturus came home, Betty put Emily to bed and threw the doll in the corner. "It's time to try this, Arcturus. Things are about to get weird."

Betty's face when Arcturus says,
"The new girl at the store fell in love with me briefly."



"I didn't feel a thing."
Hey, how is he wearing pajamas? Where did he find ghost pajamas?

"That was fun, I guess," Betty said. "Did either of us get anything out of that," Arcturus asked.



No comments:

Post a Comment